The first problem we had was the idea. It took way too long to find a story/idea. We had about 3 failed ideas before we found one we could actually do. The first idea we couldn't do because the interviewee could only do it from 12-4, and that was out of our time limit. The second idea wasn't a go because they said it was bad timing and they could only do it the next day, and not on Sunday. Lastly, the third idea didn't work because someone from another school already interviewed that shop. These three ideas consumed a lot of our filming time. We finally found an idea through Mrs. Gusman, who told us about her uncle, Stanley Morinaka who didn't finish high school but was still very successful. We were very grateful that he let us interview him. However, there are things our group can improve about interviews. That is the compression of the shot, watching out for the peacock effect, and the questions. Next time, I as the photographer, needs to give more space between the subject, the background, and the camera so it can compress. I also need to check the background of the interviewee for any plants or anything branching out of their body. The whole group can think of questions so that the interviewer doesn't get stuck with no questions to ask. The first problem our group had was it took long to find a story. This could happen in San Diego too, especially since we are unaware of the surroundings and environment. All of the broadcast team needs to pay attention during the scavenger hunt and scout for possible stories. Also, our group could fix the interview shot and questions.
The next problem we had was that we didn't take enough b-roll. We went to Stanley's trucking company because that's what he talked about in his interview and took some shots, but not enough since we took too long to find a story. Next time, we need to find a story faster so that we can take more b-roll. Also, we have to work on taking more sequences. Another thing we forgot to do was take b-roll of him! Even though we were at his house and not at his companies at the time we were shooting his interview, we still needed to take b-roll of him. We need to fix this next time by taking b-roll of the interviewee. Half of the story, he talked about all of his businesses. We managed to cover those up with b-roll of his trucking company, service stations, and some things he delivered. However, the other half of his sound bytes talked about schooling and education. We didn't have enough b-roll for that. For next time, we have to get enough b-roll. The more b-roll, the better because even though you might not use some, at least you will have enough to cover the whole story. A problem our group had was that we didn't take enough b-roll, which caused editing to be complicated and frustrating. We need to take lots of b-roll sequences, and sequences of the interviewee. Instead of using b-roll that may have not matched for the voice-over, we should have done stand-ups like what Kauai High did. Also, our group needs to work on getting the stand-ups done a lot quicker!!
Another problem we had was the final video was too short. The duration was about a minute, and it needed to be a minute and thirty seconds. But, since we didn't have enough b-roll to cover the jump between sound bytes, or much b-roll that matched what he was talking about, it caused the video to be shorter. What we can work on is getting enough matching b-roll so that our video can meet the minute and thirty seconds.
In conclusion, the broadcast team can improve and fix our mistakes. The team I was in specifically had problems with getting a story, the lack of b-roll, and our video being too short. Our group can improve by finding a story quicker (scout areas), taking lots of matching b-roll sequences and sequences of the interviewee, film the stand-ups quicker, and finally, meet the 1:30 duration. Yes, I do think that we should schedule another Krazy 8's practice so that we can correct our mistakes. Well, that's it for my constructed response! Thanks for reading! Bye!